Sunday, April 29, 2012

Boston Marathon and Everything Else

On the bus to Hopkinton

Boston Athlete's Village
Oh Hello There.  I am just swanning back into the blog world with profuse apologies for my absence.  My work picked up and the baby stopped sleeping through the night and everything sort of went to pot.  I continued training for the Boston Marathon successfully, but I had to let the blog go for a while.  I really miss blogging when I stop doing it, so I am hoping that I am back on for good.  I will skip everything that went down since I ran the Tom King half marathon and just tell you how the Boston Marathon went down.

The Boston Marathon was really the worst. It was 89 degrees at the start, I ran an hour slower than anticipated.  It did not ruin my life, BUT I have to say that it hurt my pride and just demoralized me.  It was a rugged run and honestly, I did not run a lot of it. I killed my first eight miles and then just phoned it in for the next eighteen.  It was ugly.

On the breast feeding front, I really thought that I would be so dehydrated from running in such warm temperatures that my breasts would not be able to fill up with milk.  I was sorely mistaken however.  I became more and more dehydrated and my boobs got bigger and bigger.  In fact, the only sunburn I really got that day was when my full boobs pushed up over my sports bra, exposing skin that should never have been exposed.  Honestly, I peed at 9:30 AM in the morning and then did not pee again until 6:30 that night.  It was a color like I have ever seen.

Post marathon, I was supposed to meet my husband and Baby G at the Boston Four Seasons for drinks with my running group.  When I showed up at the Four Sesaons, my husband had forgotten my Hooter Hider (breast feeding smock) and I had no choice but to feed Baby G out in the open at the Four Seasons bar like a dirty hippie.  All in all, the whole marathon sort of went downhill.  I will say that it was a lovely trip.  We had great dinners.

On the way home, however, our flight from Newark to Nashville was cancelled twice.  We sat in the Newark food court for 5 hours and did not touch down in Nashville until 1:30 AM with a 6 month old.  It was all just brutal.  However, it is over, and I live to fight another day.

Post marathon, I have taken two weeks off of everything but yoga and pilates.  I met with a personal trainer to determine that I have a split transverse muscle.  I have a whole regimen of things to do to improve what the ills of pregnancy have done to my abdominals.  I have done a good bit of cooking and embarked on a one day juice cleanse from Juice Nashville.    There is a lot to tell.

More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment