Friday, November 18, 2011

Pure Barre A ++ (Post from February 15th 2010)



It has been a long time since I have taken a women's oriented workout class. It has definitely been since before the baby (first baby), AND I was taking rec center strength training classes back then. A rec center class is VERY different than a class at a private club or an independent studio like pilates or yoga or Pure Barre.

 At a rec center class, people roam in wearing any old thing. For instance, I would usually show up for my class after a long run wearing exactly what I had worn to run. I would be completely sweaty and my running clothes usually consisted of my last remaining Wave Country t-shirt and a grungy pair of shorts. It just wasn't a big deal. It typically only cost me $3, and a senior citizen took my money while drinking rec center coffee out of a cat mug she brought from home and wearing a sweatshirt that had been decorated by her grandchildren for her birthday. I didn't have to make reservations, I just showed up in the dregs of my workout drawer.

Pure Barre, on the other hand, was a little different, which I assume is generally the case with all private facilities. I had a coordinated Lululemon outfit to wear, AND I washed my face and brushed my teeth before I went. Also, I applied a discreet amount of makeup, just enough to make my skin look great. At Pure Barre, you wear socks and no shoes. SO, I made sure I had great socks, though they were not the special Pure Barre socks with grippers. You also need to wear pants, no shorts.

The instructors are impossibly great looking and all wearing super-cute edgy Lululemon apparel and headsets. The inside of the facility is carpeted and otherwise looks a lot like a ballet studio. The walls are mirrored and have ballet bars down the walls. They sell Lululemon workout clothes and Pure Barre balls, mats, socks and such.

My sister, Caroline, and Jeanna and I got there early to secure a good spot. I was feeling pretty confidant as I am in relatively good shape, AND Caroline and I had done a Pure Barre DVD the day before to make sure that I knew what I was doing. The instructor even noted that I looked fit and gave me the heavier set of weights when handing out my materials for class. Materials for class are a mat, a pure bar ball (which is a red rubber ball that is about 5 inches in diameter), and weights.

At Pure Barre, there are four sections: the warm-up, seat work, thigh work, and ab work. I must say that each section was pretty hardcore. While doing most of the exercises you are trying your hardest to squeeze the rubber ball between your thighs while squatting, thrusting and tucking. Also, when you are doing your squats, you are standing on your tip toes (as if in your highest heels) and squeezing the ball with your thighs. During the thigh workout, I thought I was going to have to cry "uncle". My muscles were shaking and felt as if they were on fire. Pure Barre, without a doubt, gave Gilad a run for his money. I had to set down the heavier weights and go lighter, as the workout became more intense.

The class lasted one hour and I burned 136 calories and my heart rate did not get any higher than 67% of my max. It was not a cardio class at all, but I did work out muscles I did not know that I had. My thighs and rear were incredibly sore on Sunday, after a Saturday class, though in a good "I definitely hit some unused muscles" sort of way.

Overall, this workout was very difficult, but doable. I never had a Hot Yoga moment, where I thought I was going to have to quit or leave the room. I thought the workout was much harder and more targeted than my usual Gilad strength training workout, and I really enjoyed the challenge. Also, I felt like the instructors were great about giving feedback and making sure you were getting the most out of your work out.

I give this workout an A plus, and I fully plan to buy the DVD that goes along with the program so that I can work on it at home. I think the thigh portion might change swim suit season for me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment