Friday, November 18, 2011

Thursday: The Best Laid Plans

Guggenheim Bilbao
And just how did it get to be Thursday.  It seems that it was only yesterday that it was Tuesday and rather warm and rainy for a Nashville fall.  Somehow, it is now Thursday and freezing, and I got two hours of sleep last night.  Misery.  Also, on a note of deep deep bitterness, my husband drank 2.5 cups of coffee this morning, meaning that there was only 1.5 cups left for me.  It was painful. I needed that last .5 cups. Do marriages dissolve over .5 cups of coffee.  It seems QUITE possible.

Now, really my only goal today was to take a power walk and get in a Pure Barre workout.  The Pure Barre workout can be done while both children are home, but we are reaching a point when the power walk cannot happen with both children.  Some 3.5 year olds DO NOT like to sit in the jog stroller unless they can play video games.  It seems that I should not be using my workout time to push the inevitable pull of gaming on so small a child. SO, had I been wise, I would have walked first with my one month old and THEN, when both children were home, gotten in my Pure Barre workout.

You have to completely relearn planning when you add another child to the mix.  I failed at that today.  I thought that I would be able to get in the Pure Barre workout and then go on my walk with just my newborn to factor in.  BUT, of course the phone rang, the baby had to be fed (which can actually happen during a power walk, though it takes some maneuvering of the Ergo), there was an impromptu visit and suddenly it was time to sprint to nursery school to pick up my older child.

SO, the walk did not happen.  It was really all I wanted out of today, and my ignorant planning stopped everything cold.  I learned a lesson today, that anything that cannot be done with two children,  MUST be given top priority while the other child is indisposed.  I will not make this mistake again.

I did manage to get in a Pure Barre workout; at least that.  BUT, today was  the only day until Saturday that I can get in a walk.  Though, maybe, there is a chance that I can sneak to the gym around the corner when my husband gets home and hoof it on the treadmills for a bit.

Hopefully, I absorbed a lot about scheduling my life with two children today and will adjust my behavior  accordingly.  When a window of workout opportunity presents itself, I will JUMP.

No comments:

Post a Comment