Friday, March 2, 2012

Friday: Swim

This morning, my level of misery found me at the gym (because under the circumstances, it is better than staying at home) wondering what the women at the gym who run the coffee maker DO to the coffee to make it taste so wretched.  Do they secretly pee in it?  Do they take turns spitting in it or dipping the insoles of their shoes in it?

I only had one cup of coffee at my house, where I was woken at 3AM and then at 5AM.  The bad part about the 3AM wake up was that the baby never actually went back to sleep.  He just laid in his bed talking away to himself, until he finally woke my three year old.  My three year old roamed about the house, turning on lights, talking to himself.  I was in and out of sleep from 3 to 5 listening to one child babble and the other roam the house chatting away like he was at a church social.

When I finally dragged myself from bed I was angry at EVERYONE.  I parented poorly, I wanted to burst into tears when I looked in the mirror and saw how bedraggled my night had left me, and wanted to run away.  My only glimmer of excitement was that we were invited to a party in the evening, and I had something fun to wear and my parents were going to babysit.

So, with my glimmer of hope on the horizon, we betook ourselves to swim.  At swim, I got into the pool reasonably on time. Workout as follows:


  • 500 warmup
  • 14 x 25 @ :35 (sprint/easy by 25s)
  • 100 swim
  • 12 x 25 @ :35 (sprint/sprint/easy by 25s)
  • 200 swim
  • 10 x 25 @ :35 (sprint/easy by 25s)
  • 300 swim
  • 8 x 25 @ :35 (sprint/easy by 25s)
  • 400 swim
  • 500 kick
The middle part was killer and Steven held us to the workout.  It was good exercise.  It was all I did today and I am hoping that next week, I am going to step it up and start putting in more runs.  I promise nothing, however.

Anyway, back to my coffee and my glimmer of hope.  I choked down two sips of coffee and just decided it was better to be groggy.  Then stepped outside the gym after my workout into the telltale muggy weather of tornado season.  The radio was full of it.  I had 5 messages on my phone from my family, friends and husband telling me to take cover for the next six hours until the tornado time had passed.  

Then the tornado time kept coming, the party was cancelled, and I sat on the couch with my three year old and my infant and we all stared at the news for hours.  It was depressing to say the least.  I am still in my gym clothes and it is 9PM.  

Not the best day ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment