Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: Sleep Deprived

So Saturday and Sunday night, I was operating on three hours of sleep.  Baby G was just ridiculously hungered throughout the night which unleashed all sorts of personal fears about my milk supply, which became more irrational as the sleeplessness became progressively worse.  On Sunday, I staggered around the house drinking a truly terrible cup of coffee from a grind that my husband brought home.  It is so bad it sets my teeth on edge, and I hate to waste things, but that could just happen.  Anyway, I worked about the house before feeling so edgy and miserable that I finally loaded up my son and went to the YMCA for a pilates session on the reformers.  I felt a lot better afterwards and was able to go back home, feed the baby and then head out to swim where we had a great workout.  As follows:


  • 1000 meters @ 1:55 per hundred
  • 800 meters @ 1:50 per hundred
  • 600 meters @ 1:45 per hundred
  • 400 meters @ 1:40 per hundred
  • 200 meters all out
I actually made all my intervals, but the 200 all out felt like I was swimming though mud and my interval was not faster at all.

At home, I got into bed worried about my milk supply, slept fitfully and wakefully and was up and down with the baby far too much.  On Monday, I was like the walking dead.  I went to swim class, but only because I knew it would be so much worse to try to stay home.  So much worse.  Steven had written a hard workout for us, and I don't remember much about it.  I was just thrilled to have my head underwater.

Today, I am like a whole new person because the baby slept well and I slept from 9:00 PM to 4:00 AM.  It was a vast improvement over the previous two nights.  I had track practice this morning and I really enjoyed myself.  We ran mile six mile repeats and I ran a bit too fast, but got in all my miles at or faster than my pace.  A six mile repeat workout is quite long and Daniel, my usual pace companion was injured, so I had to start early and run alone to get all my repeats in.  I ran a:

  • 1.5 mile warmup
  • 800 strider warmup
  • first mile @ 6:32
  • second mile @ 6:47
  • third mile @ 6:47ish
  • fourth mile @ 7:00
  • fifth mile @ 7:00
  • sixth mile @ 6:40
  • cool down sprint to my car because I was running late and had to get home for the great baby tradeoff
I took a pilates class at the Y this afternoon, and am praying for a good night's sleep!!



No comments:

Post a Comment