Friday, August 24, 2012

Friday: Oh Happy Day

You know, last night I went to bed with the certainty that my older son had pink eye and that I was completely run down by ROUND FIVE of mastitis in this breastfeeding cycle.  There was no doubt in my mind when I went to bed that I was looking down the barrel of a terrible day, stranded at my house with both children.  There would be nothing but bitterness and woe, diaper changing and a constant whining that would send my to lock myself in the bathroom at some point during the day.  When my older son woke up wailing at 5AM, I accepted the inevitable, sat on the couch in the dark with him, and watched some mind numbing transformer cartoons and prepared for the worst.

As dawn broke and sunlight streamed through the windows, I turned on the lights and did a second check on my son's pink eye.  Lo and Behold there was no pink eye.  It was not the tiniest bit pink, the offending eye may have just been allergic or scratched pink last night, but there were not lingering effects of the pink eye possibility.  While I did not feel physically at my best, I wanted to dance dance dance that we did not all have to stay home all day like lepers.  Pink eye makes you a leper, friend.  Pink eye makes you a leper.

Now making merry about the house, I made coffee and breakfast and packed up the car to go to swim.  No, I did not feel my best, but there is nothing that will make you feel better than dropping two children at the nursery and pretending that they are not your responsibility for two blessed hours.  I got in a great workout and I showered alone.  When I looked at what my day could have been, it seemed like a bit of heaven.

At home, I finished up some house chores before bundling everyone, including myself, into bed for a nap.  Nap, glorious nap!!  Once away, with a 3000 yard swim workout under my belt and a little mindless internet time to make me feel even better, I was golden.

I am relatively on track for my marathon training and tomorrow, I am running 13ish miles.  It all could have been so much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment