Monday, August 27, 2012

Monday Monday

So, TODAY began for me at 3:00 AM.  The baby started crying at 3:00.  While I tried to employ my "cry it out" philosophy, Baby G eventually woke up my older son.  SO, I went to console the baby, then consoled my older son at which point IT WAS 4:00 AM.  I crawled back into my own bed at 4:30 AM. My alarm goes off at 4:45 AM to get to my bike ride.  Though I had gone to bed early, there is no time early enough to start the day at 3:00 AM.  SO, when my alarm went off at 4:45 AM, I perked up just long enough to email my bike crew that I was not going to make it.  If I had tried to make it, I would have been to sleep deprived to ride, so to speak.

I hate the "I missed my workout" guilt and I also hate being all sleep deprived grumpy and head achy, and ultimately I had both those things.  The sleep that I got from 4:45 to 6 AM was not great.  I might as well have gone on my bike ride and consigned myself to a day of exhaustion and tried to nap when the children did.  As it was, I loafed around the house drinking coffee and tending the children before loading everyone up to go to the YMCA for some lap swimming.

I swam:
1000 m freestyle
5 x 100 m @ 1:50
500 m pull
5 x 100 m @ 1:50
3 x 100 IM

It was a great swim, and I felt better afterwards.  At home, I put the children down for naps and attempted to nap myself.  The baby, however, is teething and he napped very little.  The witching hour started out very early and it was all quite frustrating.

The witching hour is a thing that I am comfortable with lasting for one to two hours.  I have psyched myself up, and I can generally make it until the baby goes to bed.  Today, however, it started quite a bit earlier as the baby really didn't nap.  It is wearing, to say the least.

I think the witching hour happens for all young children a bit before dinner time and lasts until after bath time.  If there were background music to the witching hour, I would describe it as a constant whine. If there was a dialogue to the witching hour, I would say that it is a small child asking 100 questions and a mother answering with a distracted "maybe".  The answer is not good enough, and the question is asked repeatedly, and at some point everyone wants to pull their hair out and the clock seems to inch along to bedtime at a pace that would shame a snail.

Anyway,  in terms of my marathon plan, I am relatively on track.  Will try to get in a good tempo run tomorrow, though maybe on the treadmill and in the late morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment