Saturday, August 25, 2012

Only 8


So all day yesterday I was emailing my running group trying to talk everyone into running 13 miles with me.  I needed to get in 13 miles in order to follow my training plan.  Another guy in my running group is training for the flying monkey and our marathons are only two weeks apart, so we will be doing all our training together.  So, I need to just fall in line with the training plan of Wood Caldwell, my Flying Monkey friend.

My morning, however began at 4:45 AM instead of 5:45 AM with a crying baby and a much too early awakened four year old.  I had folded a load of laundry, fed everyone, gotten everyone their chocolate milk and set up cartoons before I laced up my running shoes at 6:15 AM.  It was just ridiculous.  I drank my glowing green smoothie and packed up some snacks to eat on the road. I even had time to double check my marathon plan which told me I only needed eight miles today.  EIGHT MILES.  SOOO, I still met up with my group and ran my run, but I did secretly plan to lop off the last two miles if I wasn't feeling great as I did not need the mileage anyway.  

Here is the thing.  I have been getting hungry on my runs, so this morning, I had PLENTY of time to eat plenty of food.  So, I ate two pretty huge servings of my chocolate chip oatmeal bake.  Confession:  It was really too much.  It was just a bit much, and it was one of those things that as soon as you start running you know you may have inadvisably eaten.  The whole run just felt humid and heavy.  After 8 miles, I started lagging behind the group and ran the last two miles relatively on my own.  I never got hungry, at least I can say that I never got hungry.  I did neglect to discuss with my friend Chris, how I should handle speed work and such, as I wanted to get his perspective.  SO, I need to put that on the agenda for next week.

Ahhh, next week.  When I might have an extra hour of sleep.  I feel that an extra hour of sleep would have afforded me the wherewithal to get my conversational topics in order and not make hasty food judgements.

So today, I got in 10.5 miles!! Marathon training off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment