Thursday, September 13, 2012

Speed Work

guess who didn't have to get up before 5:00 AM???
Today was bike and speed work day.  At 9:00 last night, I got a text from the other members of my bike group that they were not going to be able to make it.  It is always a rather happy affair when someone cancels on me for an athletic event that requires that I rise from the bed before 5:00 AM.  It bothered me not in the least.  It is a thrill that my biking is on the road to improvement, but sometimes I just feel like I don't have the time to improve anything.

SO, I just scooched out of bed when Baby G roused himself, made some tea and started the whirlwind that is every morning in my house.  The most amazing thing is how lost I get in taking care of everyone else, and I glide right over my basic needs.  I am the last one to get breakfast, to get my tea or coffee, to get dressed, to get to brush my teeth, and I never get to wash my face unless I am in the shower at the YMCA.

Today, however I did need to get in a speed workout after I dropped the boys off at school.  Getting everyone to school went off without a hitch.  I didn't forget anyone's lunch or have any major problems once I got to nursery school.  I was able to glide seamlessly from the nursery school parking lot to the gym.  Once there, I jogged two miles on the treadmill, then ran one mile at 7 minutes, a next mile at 6:40.  The third mile, I started at a 6:30 pace, but then had to back it down to 6:45.  I just wasn't feeling it.  I did a 400 meter sprint to shut down my speed session and a 400 meter jog in between each of my miles.  I jogged a bit of time after that and headed home afterwards where I took a shower in the sanctity of my own home.

 I have not been alone in my own home in 10 months.  It was an amazing experience.  I enjoyed it for all of two seconds before I had to leap in the shower and hurriedly get ready to attend a meeting at work.

Good times


No comments:

Post a Comment