Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday: Pilates and a Unique Recipe

So this morning, I woke up at the appropriate hour to get to my Friday morning swim class.  I woke up, however, sharing a bit of my son's cold.  My throat hurt and I noticed the rattle of a cough, and it just seemed unwise to submerge my head underwater in my swim class today.  I have an 18 to 20 mile run on the calendar for tomorrow morning, so a treadmill run at the gym was also not the best thing for my body.  A bike ride was clearly the best option.  SO, I lined all my ducks in a row to get to the Maryland Farms YMCA for a spin class.  However, as I find to be the course of my current existence, there was some toddler drama while trying to get out the door and I missed the start of the class.  SO, I milled about the YMCA with my children until the start of a mat pilates class.

Now these things happen, but it sort of itches at me.  I missed my cardio.  I only got in the core workout.  It was pretty good though, and I do not know if I have mentioned it, BUT I am having a love affair with the Maryland Farms YMCA.  I feel that it is cost efficient, a purveyor of very good services, and a place that my children enjoy as well.

Once back at home, I bundled everyone up and took my oldest son for a swim lesson.  It was generally a nice day.  What made it even nicer was a fabulous recipe that I learned about from Jamie Oliver.  Jamie Oliver is becoming my new thing.  He cooks all these great seasonal meals and has totally helped me clean out my refrigerator with all the superfluous ingredients that pile up from other recipes.

Tonight, I used all the baby carrots that were left over fro a lentil stew (that was fabulous) that I made last week.  I used some cumin, thyme, chile and garlic and mixed it together with some olive oil and vinegar and salt and pepper and roasted the carrots in the mixture for 25 minutes.  Then, when the carrots came out, I added a bit more olive oil and red wine vinegar.  I mixed the carrots in with two chopped avocados, and dumped it all on a bed of spinach.  It was so delicious.  I never would have thought that warm avocados and roasted carrots would be such a great combination.  I wish I had topped it with some vegenaise, but then I always wish I had topped everything with veganaise.

Will let you know about my run!!

No comments:

Post a Comment