Monday, January 23, 2012

Monday: Swim and Tracy Anderson and My Dinner was fabulous!!

Me at Hampton Court!!
I rarely watch the weather, and I waltz about ignorantly assuming that it is always cold in the winter and fall and always warm in the spring and summer.  I never anticipate rain or snow or anything else.  This is the reason that whenever there is some weather event, I am stunned.

Last night, for instance, when I went to bed it was drizzling a bit.  I assumed that since it is January, tomorrow would be cold and probably sunny.  For this reason, I was surprised to be woken at 1:00 AM with huge claps of thunder, the house shaking down to its foundations and sheets of rain.  My three year old was afixed to me like a spider monkey, and I heaved myself out of bed to figure out what the problem might be.  Of course, when I sat down to peruse the interwebs (three year old still attached to me), it appeared that a full on tornado situation was about to descend upon our house.  Terrifying.  I had no idea.

My husband never woke up.  He apparently checked the weather before bedtime and steeled himself against the coming uproar and slept straight through.  My son and I were robbed of aproximately 2.5 hours of middle of the night sleep, which meant that we overslept.  This set my morning back, and we really did not make any effort to arrive in a timely fashion for our 8:30 swim class.  I managed to arrive by 9:00.

After getting everyone in the nursery and myself to the pool deck, it was a bit after 9:00 AM, and I was able to swim about 1500 yards with my swim group (maybe more) before class ended and I swam another 1500 yards by myself.  I swam a 1000 pull, a 4 x 100 IM and then a 100 freestyle cool down.  It was not my best effort, but I will say that I usually cut myself a bit more slack on Mondays.  Sundays are usually a pretty tough swim workout, so I feel like Mondays are for recovery and repair.  

At home, everyone took a nap.  On a day when you lost two hours of middle of the night sleep, it is important to get a nap just to cope.  After everyone napped, we loaded up and went to Whole Foods to for a few integral items that we were lacking at home.  I had run out of Veganaise.  Veganaise really deserves its own post, but I will save that for later.  

In the evening, I prepared a dinner that rocked my world and totally bumped up my vegetable intake. I will tell you all about it: 

Butternut squash chopped and roasted for 25 minutes at 350 with olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme.  Then taken from the oven and put into the food processor with goat cheese and sauteed shallots.  Once food processed to the consistency of mashed potatoes, I sauteed some sage, walnuts and cranberries to put on top.  I served in a bowl with some sauteed spinach and some cold raw sauerkraut. (The Sauerkraut is called Bubbies, and it is in the refrigerated section of Whole Foods alongside butters and such. It rocks my world.)

After dinner, I settled down to a mountain of laundry and some Tracy Anderson ab work!!  A reasonable day!

No comments:

Post a Comment