Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tuesday: Tornados

I am convinced that when the end comes it will be in the form of a tornado, and I will be naked in the shower.  It is rare that any weather disaster finds me properly dressed, and honestly, it finds me usually severely underdressed.  So it was no surprise today when, freshly off the treadmill at the YMCA, that I was showering away when a YMCA employee with hysteria in her voice said that we were all to get into the hallway post haste.  There was a tornado in Brentwood, and as per usual I was inappropriately dressed.  I pulled on Yoga clothes and scurried into the hall dripping and sweaty bearing all of my stuff.

I, of course, could not stay in the hall, but sprinted straight to the nursery propelled by mom guilt and worry to make sure that Baby G was intact.  He was, and then I learned something that I find to be rather constraining or maybe it is for the best.  I cannot make up my mind.  Apparently, at the YMCA, when there is a weather situation, individuals with children are not allowed to leave without signing a waiver that says they have been duly informed of the risks of leaving under the current weather conditions.

SO, I sat in the nursery dripping sweat and breast feeding and realizing that my one hour trip to the YMCA was turning into a 2.5 hour trip to the YMCA that meant I was not going to get to eat lunch or run my errand, AND I was going to be late to pick up my older son from nursery school.  I was late only to find that my son had not had a nap, as he had been in the nursery school basement in tornado drill position.  This made for a stellar afternoon of un-napped three year old meltdowns, and I can only say that there was not enough alcohol in my home to improve the situation.  It was bleak.

My son decompressed in front of Max and Ruby, which is an animated bunny show that my son loves, and I used to love for its wholesomeness, but now I just think that Ruby is SO bossy and I wish that Max would speak up every once in a while to tell her to stuff it.  Will my son never tire of them?  When will he want to watch 30 Rock, and cackle with me over the love life of the miscreant Liz Lemon.

Anyway,  all that to say that I did get in a really nice run on the YMCA treadmills today.  A fast four miles, made me think that I might get my running legs back.  I am signed up for the Boston Marathon and heading to race on April 16th.  It is something to look forward to, which currently means a lot to me.

Tomorrow, I will try to tell you all about Tracy Anderson!!

No comments:

Post a Comment